Views Of Carlingford
Carlingford was raided by the Vikings in the 8th & 9th centuries and then the Normans in the 12th century. It is now a listed Medieval Heritage Town - it has more historical buildings than any similar sized town in the whole of Ireland.
- King Johns' Castle (pre 1210) lies on a high rock guarding the entrance to the harbour
- Taaffe's Castle (15th century) with its' crenellated battlements, murder holes, slit windows for archers and barrel vaulted basement is a fine example of a castellated town house.
- Mint was established in 1467 and it too still stands today.
- Much of the old walls have gone but The Tholsel (or gate tower) remains in fine condition, a medieval customs barrier used to prevent un-taxed goods from entering to the city.
- The Heritage Centre is located in the tower of the original town wall, now part of the Old Carlingford Church.
Carlingford Friary, a Dominican Friory was founded by Richard de Burgo, earl of Ulster in 1305.